TRAVEL ALERT: MELBOURNE BOOKINGS ARE NOT AVAILABLE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
Sovereign Hill in Ballarat is one of the best outdoor museums you can experience. With a colourful history relating to the discovery of gold in the region back in the 1850's, you too can capture the excitement!
Travel the stage coach route of the 1850's along Western Highway to Ballarat, steeped in history with the discovery of gold. Tour through this gracious town with its exquisite gardens, noble statues and magnificent architecture. Pass by the Eureka Stockade, site of the 1854 miner's rebellion. Spend the rest of your day at Sovereign Hill where Ballarat's first 10 years after the discovery of gold in 1851 is re-created. Try your luck at gold panning in Red Gully Creek or head underground on the Red Hill mine tour. Don't forget to visit the Gold Museum too!
BOOK THIS TOUR NOW
- Travel the Western Highway - stagecoach route of the 1850's
- Bacchus Marsh - a landscape of orchards - once a resting place for the Cobb & Co stagecoach
- Ballarat - enjoy a complete town tour of this gracious city with its exquisite gardens and noble statues
- Eureka Stockade - site of the 1854 Miner's Rebellion
- Visit Sovereign Hill - an authentic recreation of an 1850's gold mining town. See & experience...
- Gold panning in Red Gully Creek
- Explore the Red Hill mine tour and discover life underground
- Witness original working conditions and demonstrations of early mining equipment
- Explore the many original shops ...
- Blacksmiths and traditional craftsmen
- Perhaps try some homemade boiled lollies! Maybe a Devonshire Tea at the New York Bakery?
- The Chinese Village - highlighting Chinese involvement in the goldfields
- Why not ride a stagecoach!
- Take in the atmosphere of Main St.
- Watch the Giant Crushing Battery
- Treat yourself to lunch at the United States Hotel (own expense)
- Visit the Gold Museum - an impressive and valuable collection of gold nuggets, gold coins, alluvial deposits and priceless gold artefacts.
BOOK THIS TOUR NOW
Mon, Tue, Thu, Sat
Departs: 8.10am Returns: 5.30pm
Entrance fees to Sovereign Hill and Gold Museum, Red Hill Mine tour and free Wi-Fi on coach
Sturdy walking shoes are recommended due to uneven and sometimes slippery terrain.
Photographs are not permitted in the Underground Mine or at any performances at the Victoria Theatre.
Share this tour