TRAVEL ALERT: MELBOURNE TOURS SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY
Sovereign Hill with Lunch
What do you get when you combine the west, gold and history? Sovereign Hill, an outdoor museum and re-creation of the town of Ballarat after the first discovery of gold in 1851. Lunch is included at the legendary New York Bakery.
Wandering around Sovereign Hill really does take you back in time and is exemplary as an outdoor museum that reflects Ballarat's history with gold discovery in the 1850s. Take a town tour of Ballarat en-route to Sovereign Hill where you will spend the majority of your time seeing and experiencing the gold rush era. The original shops are a real treat such as the blacksmiths and a favourite for many is the lolly shop where you can purchase homemade boiled lollies. Enjoy the rustic and western atmosphere of your lunch venue at the New York Bakery in Main Street.
BOOK THIS TOUR NOW
- Departing Melbourne travel the Western Highway, a stagecoach route of the 1850's
- Enjoy a journey around Ballarat and learn of its gold period history
- See the site of the 1854 miner's rebellion, the Eureka Stockade
- Explore the living museum of Sovereign Hill, an authentic recreation of an 1850s gold mining town
- Try your hand at Gold panning in Red Gully Creek
- Join the "Red Hill Mine Tour" and explore an underground mine
- See demonstrations of machinery used in the Gold mining era and witness original working conditions
- Stroll the main street and explore the many original shops selling period items and watch the daily parade
- Visit blacksmiths and traditional craftsmen plying their trades and hear about their role in Ballarat's history
- Enjoy a scrumptious lunch at the New York Bakery on Sovereign Hill's main street
- Watch the pouring of a bar of gold and hear of the process involved
- Learn of the history of Chinese settlers at Ballarat and their role in the goldfields
- Perhaps ride a stagecoach through town
- Watch the Giant Crushing Battery
- Visit the Gold Museum and learn of the discovery and evolution of Ballarat and the importance of gold in the region
BOOK THIS TOUR NOW
Mon, Tue, Thu, Sat
Departs: 8.10am Returns: 5.30pm
Entrance fees to Sovereign Hill and Gold Museum, Red Hill Mine tour, lunch with a drink and free Wi-Fi on coach
Sturdy walking shoes are recommended due to uneven and sometimes slippery terrain.
Photographs are not permitted in the Underground Mine or at any performances at the Victoria Theatre.
Share this tour